Monday, March 18, 2013

The Biggest Fights I Ever Had Were With Myself- On How To Be Competitive, Make Real Transformation, And Stay True To You (Why You Are Already What You Are Hoping For)


I have been thinking about transformation. How does it happen? How does someone actually change? With the notion of self acceptance making its way into my self improvement vocabulary fairly recently, I have completely chucked my hard fast belief in tough loving myself into change. Yes, this revolution will be gentle. At least from the inside, and as far as I can help it.

So now that I’m loving myself all up and down inside and out sometimes I fear that something valuable has been lost along with my rough n’ tough do or die mentality towards personal change. Where is the balance?  Indeed how does one make lasting and profound personal change? Is transformation even possible or is it just some kind of pipe dream that the optimistic and hopeful of us have trained ourselves to believe?

I just stopped typing to readjust a tie around the stems of my houseplant, which was put in place to train it how to grow. I love when metaphors manifest! Is growth just one of the many metaphors for existence? I think it is in many ways. Perhaps we have gotten too caught up into making it happen, and have forgotten the sundry ways it happens on its own.

But back to my bigger question of how transformation actually happens; as in, specifically, how can you make it happen. Slowly but surely I am beginning to understand that you don’t make it happen. The idea of making it happen is probably the biggest hoax that I ever bought into.  It is already happening every day every moment, it is the constant flow of life, so the real question is not how can I make it happen, it is how can I be a part of it, how can I allow space for it to happen in a way that is of benefit to me. Of course, this means understanding that you are already a part of it, so how can I realize that I am a part of it and act accordingly? How can I realize my joy?

I think I’ll get personal here. I believe I came to the big realization that I don’t make transformation happen from my daily readings of the poetry of Rumi. His words have been a part of my meditation practice for almost 6 years. His poetry is about surrender, about knock your socks off, all holds barred devotion to the divine, the unseen. I didn’t realize it immediately but constantly reading his poetry in a meditative state was changing me subconsciously. I began the process of letting go without even realizing it. Do not be fooled, I am still in that process. And it is a process of transformation. 

Doing something daily has led to a transformation process that is not of my doing. Can you dig the paradox of that?

So transformation is not the stuff of mental prowess, harsh treatment, negative self talk, and the like. Devote yourself to doing something regularly. For me, daily is not always possible. On the days when I do not meditate and do my Rumi reading, I do my best to love myself even more. This is living devotion. It is not always perfect.

Gradually the thought process changes. Transformation happens.

In a city where competition is a living breathing element as visceral as the concrete, it can be hard to compete while remaining authentic to your natural self. Often competition (or ogling admiration) is the biggest motivation for seeking transformation. This is a worthy cause. But remember that the only person you’ll ever really compete with is you.  

Transformation is personal. It is not about the person you see playing the parts you want to play. You can be the person playing the parts you want to play, but it is always about your relationship to yourself and not your relationship to someone you else that you wish to be.

The biggest fights I ever had were with myself.

What is it that makes your heart sing? Do it everyday. Better yet: Try to do it everyday. And forgive yourself wholeheartedly when you miss the mark. If you are struggling to be someone that you aren’t, give that struggle up. The transformation that you surrender to, that you make space for, is really about becoming who you already are.

If you can dig that paradox, your joy awaits you.  In the city. And everywhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment